Bakery-fresh cupcakes in all sorts of flavors are a hit at home, at parties, and in coffee shops nationwide. The following is a list of ten common cupcake flavors, ranked from most popular to least popular.
1. Red velvet – This American favorite is the most popular type of cake in the country! It’s made with red food coloring (no actual red velvet cake batter!), buttermilk and cocoa powder for that signature dark color and texture, which account for its decadently rich flavor. Though red velvet has long been a holiday favorite for its festive color, it is enjoyed year-round, and is served at most bakeries in various tasty incarnations.
2. Chocolate – The chocolate cupcake rules the world of desserts! This luxurious taste sensation, whether made with rich chocolate cake or devilishly decadent chocolate buttercream frosting, is a must-have for any chocoholic. The best part about a chocolate cupcake is that you can pair it with just about any topping you want and it will still TASTE like chocolate! Whether you’re looking for New York-style cake or Southern-style pies (made with pudding), your local bakery will satisfy your craving!
3. Yellow – Yellow cupcakes are truly a rainbow-colored delight. The color comes from vegetable shortening and yellow food coloring. Other than the color, they have very little flavor difference between them and red velvet cupcakes. While yellow cupcakes are often made with basic yellow cake, you can also request your bakery to make it with chocolate cake to pick up more of that chocolate flavor in the cupcake.
4. Strawberry – This is one of those dessert staples that everyone loves! Strawberry is simply strawberry jam frosted on top of a strawberry-flavored cake or cupcake, but it does pack quite a punch of flavor. If you want to make them more unique, get creative and add other flavors, like chocolate or blueberry. Note that strawberry cupcakes are generally a good choice for kids, but they’re often made with overly sweet frosting, which can be too rich for those who don’t like to eat sweets, so choose wisely!
5. Blueberry – Blueberries are so delicious! They’re antioxidant-rich and packed with fiber and iron–so much better than candy bars! This tart fruit is the perfect partner for a red velvet cupcake. The flavor of blueberries is not very strong, so this cupcake can still taste delicious without the fruit’s natural sweetness. If you’re not a fan of blueberries, try using other berries like raspberry or strawberry!
6. Carrot – Ever since carrot cake appeared in the 1940s, it’s been a favorite for dessert. The original carrot cake recipe was made with carrot juice and shredded carrots, but now the only place where you’ll find that is in a gourmet bakery. The traditional recipe today includes nuts or raisins, and raisin frosting. Though chocolate cake can be made with carrots, the cupcakes are usually made with yellow cake.
7. Pumpkin – Pumpkin is a staple for Thanksgiving and Christmas! It’s such a delicious fall food that you’ll want to make sure you have plenty in your kitchen year-round. The cupcake version of pumpkin pie has a unique creamy texture thanks to cream cheese frosting, but it also has a wonderful seasonal flavor. Mixed with cinnamon, ginger, and other spices, it adds rich warmth to the cupcake flavor.
8. Red – Red velvet is RED! Since red is the color of passion, love, and lust, it goes to show that this cupcake is loved by all. What’s so great about a red velvet cupcake? It has a luxurious texture and flavor, with balanced sweetness. Also, this cupcake utilizes one of pastry chefs’ favorite ingredients: cocoa powder! Whether it’s made with buttermilk or chocolate cake batter, the flavors work well together and are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
9. White – White cupcakes are the perfect classic treat for any season. A vanilla buttercream frosting on top of a white cake flavored with vanilla extract makes up their creamy consistency. The texture is light and fluffy, with a smooth flavor. They’re so tasty that you’ll want more than just one! To learn more on this flavor, click here https://twelvecupcakes.com/menu/.
10. Chocolate chip – The chocolate chip is the little brother of the chocolate cupcake. It comes in all sorts of different flavors, but they all have the same basic ingredients. One of the most popular types of chocolate chip cupcakes is chocolate brownie with mini chocolate chips in it.